So, it looks like it’s going to be a warm and sunny weekend here in New York, now that the threatened hurricanes have passed by. Toasting summer is easy with a negroni, the drink I have been unable to stop thinking about since reading Gabrielle Hamilton’s Blood, Bones and Butter (which I review here.) It also seems to be the fashionable cocktail du jour, along with other amaro-based concoctions, but it’s a classic – tart, fragrant, punch-packing and a breeze to make. Simply combine equal parts (1oz) gin, Campari and sweet vermouth and pour over a big hunk of ice. Garnish with a slice of orange. If you want the drink a little longer and more gentle, an Americano is basically the same thing with the gin swapped out for soda water. Happy summer!
- Hot Bird! #Ataturkey instagram.com/p/v6vDRNJOrZ/ 18 hours ago
- Up close & personal with Ataturkey. instagram.com/p/v6VtjbpOj_/ 22 hours ago
- What was the best first book - in any genre - you read this year? Tell us @bookcritics and it could win the #NBCCLeonard prize. 2 days ago
- Not sure if Golden Unicorn dim sum or the post-dim sum nap is more delicious. 4 days ago
- Biggest unsolved #Serial mystery: why that lady can't pronounce "Mail Chimp" 5 days ago
What do you want to do?