So, it looks like it’s going to be a warm and sunny weekend here in New York, now that the threatened hurricanes have passed by. Toasting summer is easy with a negroni, the drink I have been unable to stop thinking about since reading Gabrielle Hamilton’s Blood, Bones and Butter (which I review here.) It also seems to be the fashionable cocktail du jour, along with other amaro-based concoctions, but it’s a classic – tart, fragrant, punch-packing and a breeze to make. Simply combine equal parts (1oz) gin, Campari and sweet vermouth and pour over a big hunk of ice. Garnish with a slice of orange. If you want the drink a little longer and more gentle, an Americano is basically the same thing with the gin swapped out for soda water. Happy summer!
- Thanks @sullydish for shouting out my @SlateBooks piece! ( slate.com/articles/arts/…) 5 days ago
- Dear fashion industry: WTF is up with no damn buttons on any of your damn cardigans? 1 week ago
- Christmas came early/my husband is evil. instagram.com/p/wPnONoJOmU/ 1 week ago
- Gorgeous show of poets' holiday greetings @ Poets' House instagram.com/p/wM4PtMpOrU/ 2 weeks ago
- Are you fucking kidding me? “@jonswaine: Unarmed black man shot dead by police in Phoenix, AZ usatoday.com/story/news/nat…” 2 weeks ago
What do you want to do?